Where To Buy Textbooks?
The cost of your textbooks are probably the largest expense in attending a community college. The wise student will determine well in advance which textbooks are needed for his or her courses. Finding which textbooks are required can be done by checking the instructor's or department's website, or by looking at the college bookstore website. You can then compare prices from various sources and order your books accordingly.
Be sure to note and purchase the correct title, author and edition of the required textbook.
It is also important that you obtain your textbooks in a timely manner, especially in the mathematics department, as assignments from the book will probably be made the during the first class meeting. If you order books online, you can expect to wait sometimes two weeks to receive your order. Waiting two weeks is not a good idea, unless you order two weeks in advance, or pay extra for quicker shipping.
Mission College Bookstore
- You can usually get your textbook immediately (the same day) if you go to the bookstore in person.
- You can pay with cash (does not require a credit card) or credit card.
- The store usually has the books for all courses at Mission.
- The store is conveniently located on campus.
- You can often get either a new or used textbook.
- You can also order new and used books online from the bookstore.
- You can return your book for a full refund (with a receipt) during the first week or two of the semester, if you drop your class.
- Prices are usually higher than online sources.
- You may have to wait in a long line.
- The bookstore sometimes runs out of the books you need.
- CLICK HERE for bookstore hours, list of books used for various courses, and to order textbooks and other materials online.
Online Internet Sources
- Prices are often cheaper than the bookstore.
- There is no need to wait in lines.
- There are many available places to shop and compare prices.
- Some sites offer free shipping.
- There usually are shipping costs added to the price of the books, which increases the total cost.
- There is a waiting period before the books are delivered to you.
- You must pay by credit card or Paypal (cannot use cash).
- The books that you need may be difficult to find online.
- It may be difficult or impossible to return books once they are purchased.
- There are general risks involved in purchasing products online: not receiving the item or dealing with a disreputable business.
Websites of some online textbook sellers:
NOTE: Mission College, the Mathematics Department and this instructor are not recommending any one particular approach to purchasing textbooks, nor are we specifically recommending any of the online websites mentioned. We are not vouching for the reputability, honesty or serviceability of any of the textbook resources on this page. The purpose of this page is for information only. The purchaser assumes his or her own risk from dealing with any business listed on this page or elsewhere.
Mr. Hobbs' Math Corner Math 903 main page
Math C main page
last update: 1/30/10