Frequently Asked Questions - Online Classes
- Try ask.missioncollege.edu
- Visit the Welcome Center
- Welcome Center (General FAQs)
- Articulation (course credit transferability)
- Associated Student Government (student government)
- Child Development
- Community Education
- Counseling (services offered)
- Dreamers (undocumented students)
- Honors Transfer Program (program advantages)
- Hospitality Management (restaurant and hotel industry)
- International Student (visas, work permits, eligibility)
- Outreach (future students)
- Online Classes
- Transfer Center (transferring to a 4-year college)
- Statway (2 semester math alternative)
- Student Health Services (appointments and services provided)
1. Are online courses fully transferable college courses accepted for credit at all California
2. Are there any special fees or hidden costs?
3. Are there required books to buy?
4. There is a note in the Mission College Class Schedule that lists the number of online weekly hours for the course. Is this the amount of time I can expect to spend on this course each week?
5. How much time does an online course require?
6. Are online courses self-paced?
7. Do I have to come on campus to take exams?
8. Does every online course have an on campus orientation?
9. Are counselors available for online learners?
10. Can students taking online courses qualify for financial aid?
11. I'm registered for the course; why can't I access my Canvas account?
12. Why is a course I'm taking not listed on my Canvas Home Page?
13. How do I learn more about using Canvas?
3. Are there required books to buy? Yes, just like any other college course a textbook may be required. Textbooks can be purchased from the Mission College Bookstore or through a number of online outlets.
4. There is a note in the Class Schedule that lists the number of online weekly hours for the course. Is this the amount of time I can expect to spend on the course each week? The online weekly hours refer to the "lecture" hours for the course. It means that you will spend, at least, that number of hours online. In addition, you can expect to spend an additional two hours of "homework" for every lecture hour. The additional time may or may not be spent online. To calculate the total weekly hours, multiple the online weekly hours by 3. For example, if the online weekly hours are listed as 3.4, then you can expect to spend 10.2 hours per week on the course. See the answer to question #5 below for additional information regarding course time.
5. How much time does an online course require? Academic courses are assigned units based on the amount of time a student is expected to devote to learning per semester. A one unit semester long course typically equals 48-52 hours per semester, one third is in class, and two-thirds is study/homework. For every hour in class you can expect to spend two hours of study/homework per week. Even though online courses do not have weekly face-to-face meetings, the time commitment per week is the same. For a one-unit online course that meets once a week over the entire semester, the minimum is three hours of student work per week. For a three-unit online course, the minimum is nine hours of student work per week.
8. Does every online course have an on campus orientation? No. Specific information about on campus orientations is included in the Mission College Class Schedule.
10. Can students taking online courses qualify for financial aid? Yes, online learners qualify for financial aid. For information about financial aid, go to the Mission College Financial Aid Website.
11. I'm registered for an online course; why can't I access my Canvas account? If you are a new student, you will not have access to Canvas until the first day of class. New accounts are created in Canvas at 12:00 a.m. (midnight). Please wait for one day for registration in Canvas to take place.
12. Why is a course I'm taking not listed on my Canvas Home Page? You will not have access to your courses until the first day of class. If you added the course after the first day of class, it can take up to 24 hours before you will see it on your home page.
13. How do I learn more about using Canvas? Go to the Canvas Training (Student) page for links to Canvas resources.