Mission College Health Services Frequently Asked Questions

Additional FAQ Pages

Welcome Center - General FAQs all subjects

Articulation - Course credit transferability

Assessment Center - Placement / proficiency testing

Associated Student Government - Student government at Mission

Counseling - Personal and academic

Honors Transfer Program - Honors program advantages at Mission

Hospitality Management - Preparing for the restaurant and hotel industry

International Students - Visas, work permits, eligibility

Outreach - Future Students

Transfer Center - Transferring to a four-year college



  1. Do I have to pay each time I visit the Student Health Services? No, many services are at no cost such as first aid for on-campus accidents or injuries, over-the-counter medicines, consultation with a registered nurse, smoking cessation counseling, personal counseling, sexual health information, and referral to community resources. Nominal (very low cost and reasonable) fees are charged for laboratory tests, physician consultation, and immunizations.
  2. How is the Student Health Services financially supported? The Student Health Services is supported by the student health fee that is paid by currently enrolled students at registration time. Non-matriculated programs, such as the Community Education Program, are not routinely charged the student health fee. Therefore, should these students (such as Pharmacy Technician Program or International Students Intensive English Program) seek student health services, they will be charged the student health fee.   The student health fee amount is determined by the State and/or the College's Board of Trustees.   The health fee is not a replacement for personal health care insurance.  The health fee is exempt for 1) students who depend exclusively upon prayer for healing in accordance with the teachings of a bonafide religious sect, denomination, or organization; 2) students who are attending a community college under an approved apprenticeship training program (Ed Code 76355).
  3. I was a student last semester, but not now. May I use the Student Health Services? No, only currently enrolled students may use the health service. For some unique situations, such as completion of the Hepatitis A or B immunization series, students may be permitted to receive their immunizations in the following semester, but will be charged an additional amount to cover for the student health fee.
  4. May I get birth control pills or patches from the Student Health Services? Due to the limited staffing and facility space of the Student Health Services, we refer students to local community resources for family planning and sexually transmitted infections. There are many family planning resources available in Santa Clara County. Please check the website www.plannedparenthood.org/mar-montefor more information on the Planned Parenthood Clinics or call 1-800-711-9848. The Student Health Services does offer pregnancy testing, emergency contraception ("the morning after pill"), condoms, and patient education about sexual health needs.


  5. Did my student health fee pay for medical insurance for me? No, however, brochures on low cost health and dental/vision insurance plans that are designed for students are available in our office.
  6. Do I have to pay for the over-the-counter medications that the Student Health Services provides? We offer common over-the-counter medications with instructions.
  7. I don't have health insurance. If I need to see a doctor or go to the hospital, can I get help from the Student Health Services? We provide medical physician visits and registered nurse consultations to cover short-term conditions and provide community referral and insurance information.
  8. I am not a full-time student at Mission College. Will I be able to get help from the Student Health Services? Yes, we will serve any currently enrolled student, even if the student is enrolled in 1/2 unit class.
  9. Does the Student Health Services provide voluntary medical, dental or vision insurance plan information? Yes, we do have an array of optional health, medical, vision, and dental insurance plan brochures. These insurance plans were designed for students and are offered at affordable rates. Click onto these links for more details on these plans. We encourage you to check with the vendor regarding specific concerns.
  10. I am enrolled in Distance Learning courses, do I have to pay the health fee?  Yes, the student health fee is mandated of all students.  Students who seldom come on campus can still use the Student Health Services, like any other enrolled student.  All students can access the Student Health Services website, just as you are reading this.  This website is actively maintained and updated. The e-health magazine, "Student Health 101," provides timely health and wellness articles.   For your convenience, you can email us your health questions (mc.health.services@wvm.edu).
  11. Do I need to make an appointment for services? We encourage appointments for most routine clinical services, such tuberculosis skin tests, laboratory tests, doctor visits, personal counseling, and immunizations. Of course, if you have an urgent illness or accident, we will try to fit you into our schedule. However, please be aware that the Student Health Services has limited staffing levels. During peak periods, such as the beginning "rush" of each semester, we are able to accommodate only a limited number of students. In short, appointments are highly recommended.   Students who need to cancel appointments, should call the office, 408 - 855 - 5140, 24 - 48 hours in advance so that we can schedule other students in that appointment slot.
  12. How can I find out more information about the Student Health Services?   You are welcome to call us at (408) 855-5140 or come to our office located in room SEC-104.