What is STEM Core?
STEM Core is a program at Mission College to prepare students for careers in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math through accelerated Math and Engineering courses combined with other resources to help students succeed in their desired pathway.
STEM Core aims to assist students who are interested in a STEM major/career path and need to take Elementary Algebra (Math 903) or Intermediate Algebra (Math C). As part of this program, students will take a block of cohorted Math and Engineering courses that prepare students for Calculus and advanced Engineering classes in one academic year.
- Free use of course textbooks for all STEM Core affiliated courses
- Supplemental instruction (SI)/extra tutoring resources for STEM Core courses
- STEM Workshops
- Career speakers
- Resume/Interview techniques
- Professional development
- College transfer
- Field trips to local tech companies/industry partners/transfer institutions
- Opportunities to compete for exclusive PAID summer internships at NASA Ames, Lockheed Martin, Jabil, and many other employers in Silicon Valley. (In order to apply for summer internships, students must complete the STEM Core sequence of courses.)
Students are eligible in the Fall 2018 semester by:
- Successful completion of MAT 902 by the end of Spring 2018.
- Placement into Math 903 by taking the placement exam
- Successful petition of prior course experience with the Math department chair
To apply: Click Here
Math 903/Math C
Instructor: Gabriel Porrata-Vallejo
9:20 AM - 11:55 AM
12:40 PM - 3:50 PM
SEC 220 and SEC 204
Student Support Specialist
Phone: (408) 855-5097
STEM Core is a partnership between Mission College, Growth Sector, and Silicon Valley Career Pathways